Healthy Eating Habits That Will Make You Smile
We have all heard the saying, “You are what you eat” as it refers to overall health, but did you know the saying goes for your teeth as well? Choosing to eat foods that are rich in vitamins and nutrients benefits your body while strengthening and maintaining teeth and gums. Following a diet full of fruits, vegetables, protein, calcium and grains creates an ideal environment for your oral health to thrive.
Eat These Vitamin Rich Foods
● Low-fat or fat-free dairy products such as milk, yogurt and cheese, as well as some soy drinks and tofu, almonds and dark green leafy vegetables are calcium-rich foods that help strengthen teeth, reducing the risk for breaking, chipping, and decay.
● Eggs, fish, lean meat, dairy, nuts and beans are rich in phosphorus, which aids in calcium absorption. Phosphorous is a vital mineral in our diets and can prevent chipping in children and adults.
● Vitamin C is the body’s superhero! In addition to building immunity, vitamin C promotes healthy gums and soft tissue. Gingivitis, early-stage gum disease, and tooth-loosening can all be prevented by eating citrus fruits, tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, and spinach.
● When snacking, remember that the more often you eat, the greater the chance to increase acid attacks on your teeth. Avoid snacking on sugary treats, sticky and/or hard candy and choose raw vegetables, fruit, nuts, or popcorn.
● Hydrate! Be sure to drink plenty of water. Staying hydrated keeps soft tissue healthy and aids in rinsing food particles and dangerous bacteria from your teeth and gums.
To maintain optimum dental health, remember to brush your teeth two times a day with a fluoride toothpaste, floss daily, and schedule regular check-ups with the dental professionals at Magnolia Springs Dentistry. We are here to help keep you healthy and prevent dental problems before they begin, giving you peace of mind.
Ready to make an appointment? Call us today at 803.456.2404!